Welcome to Canada, Here to visit ?
Medical care is expensive in Canada. If you need medical treatment while visiting the country, it could cost you a lot. Canadian government doesn’t pay visitors’ medical expenses, and strongly recommends purchasing enough health insurance for your visit.
Welcome to Canada, Here to stay ?
Recently-arrived immigrants or returning Canadian residents may wait three months or more to receive government health coverage. Why take unnecessary risks? Protect yourself and your family.
Premium protection for you
Medical emergencies happen anytime and anywhere. Ensure a great stay with Visitors to Canada Emergency Travel Insurance. The enhanced benefits of this plan provide you and your loved ones superior emergency medical coverage while in Canada.
At the time of application, you are eligible for coverage if:
1. You know of no reason for which you may seek medical attention.
2. You are:
a) A foreign worker, international student studying in Canada or a visitor to Canada with valid legal status in Canada; or,
b) An immigrant awaiting provincial or territorial government health care coverage; or,
c) A Canadian returning to Canada from an extended leave who is eligible for but not yet covered by a provincial or territorial government health care plan.
3. You are not travelling against a physician or other registered medical practitioner’s advice.
4. You have not been diagnosed with a terminal condition.
5. You are not receiving palliative care or palliative care has not been recommended.
6. You do not have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), including emphysema, requiring home oxygen.
7. You do not have pancreatic cancer, liver cancer or any type of cancer that has metastasized or that required a bone marrow transplant.
8. You do not have kidney disease requiring dialysis.
9. You have not had or are not waiting for an organ transplant.
10. You have not been diagnosed with congestive heart failure also known as pulmonary edema.
Benefits and Features
This insurance provides coverage for medical expenses incurred while travelling outside your country of permanent residence. Coverage is available for visitors to Canada, temporary foreign workers in Canada, IEC participants including Working Holidays, Young Professionals and International Co-op (Internship), immigrants and returning Canadians awaiting provincial health care coverage.
|Sum insureds||• $10,000 CAD |
• $25,000 CAD
• $50,000 CAD
• $100,000 CAD
• $200,000 CAD
• $300,000 CAD
|Deductible||• $0 CAD – automatic |
• $150 CAD
• $500 CAD
• $1,000 CAD
• $2,500 CAD
• $5,000 CAD
• $10,000 CAD
|Waiting period||• No waiting period on disease or illness if the policy is purchased before arrival in Canada |
• 48-hour waiting period on disease or illness if the policy is purchased within 60 days after arrival in Canada
• 7-day waiting period on sickness if policy is purchased 61 days or more after arrival in Canada
|Travel worldwide||Travel Worldwide |
Travel worldwide is covered as long as the majority of the period of coverage is spent in Canada. The insured must have travelled to Canada first before they can be covered for side-trips outside of Canada
Travel in Home Country
Visits to home country are permitted; the Policy will not terminate but expenses will not be covered
|KEY BENEFITS||MAXIMUM LIMIT|
|Emergency medical treatment||Up to the sum insured for: |
• Emergency medical treatment for in-patient or out-patient care
• Services of physician
• Private duty nursing
• X-rays and laboratory services
• Rental or purchase of essential medical appliances
|Ambulance||Up to the sum insured for ground, air or sea ambulance (including paramedics) or taxi in lieu|
|Follow-up visits||Up to 5 follow-up visits within 14 days of the initial emergency medical treatment|
|Prescription drugs||Up to a 30-day supply following an emergency during the trip|
|Professional medical services||Up to $600 for any one incident per practitioner for licensed: |
• Physiotherapists • Podiatrists
• Chiropractors • Optometrists
• Chiropodists • Acupuncturists
|Fracture treatment||Up to $1,000 for medical treatment related to fractures. This benefit includes: |
• Re-examination physician visits
• Casting and re-casting
• Cast removal
|Dental||• Up to $6,000 for dental accidents during the trip |
• Up to $600 for any other dental emergencies
|Maternity||Up to $6,000 for pre-natal care, delivery and/or complications thereof|
|Hospital allowance||Hospital allowance|
|Emergency air transportation||Up to the sum insured for medical air evacuation. If medically required, this benefit also includes: |
• The cost of a qualified medical attendant
• An airline seat upgrade
|Airfare to return home for treatment||Up to a one-way economy airfare to return to the country of permanent residence for immediate medical treatment* |
* Treatment must be required within 10 days of returning home
|Return of travelling companion||Return of travelling companion|
|Return of dependent children||When an insured traveller is returned to their country of permanent residence because of a medical emergency, this benefit includes: |
• Up to a one-way economy airfare for dependent children* to return home
• The cost of a qualified chaperone
* Children do not have to be insured. This applies to children up to age 21, if residing with their parents/ guardians or up to age 25, if full-time students. No age limit applies for children with cognitive, developmental or physical disabilities
|Repatriation||• Up to the sum insured for preparation and return of the body |
• Up to $6,000 for burial or cremation at the place of death
• Transportation costs and insurance coverage for one family member to identify the body, and up to
$400 per day to a maximum of $2,000 for their meals and accommodation
|Family transportation||When an insured traveller is hospitalized, this benefit includes: |
• A round trip economy airfare or ground transportation costs for a family member to be at their bedside
• Up to $400 per day to a maximum of $2,000 for out-of-pocket expenses
|Out-of-pocket expenses||When a travelling companion is hospitalized on the date the insured traveller is scheduled to return home or when they are transferred to a different hospital in another city for emergency medical treatment, this benefit includes: |
Up to $500 per day to a maximum of $5,000 for:
• Commercial accommodation • Internet charges • Bus fare
• Meals • Taxi fare • Rental car services
• Telephone calls • Parking charges
|Child care||Up to $500 per day to a maximum of $5,000 for child care costs* when the insured traveller is confined to hospital or transferred to a different hospital in another city for emergency medical treatment |
* Children must be insured and 18 years or under
|Return of vehicle||When the insured traveller is not medically fit to drive home, this benefit includes: |
Up to $2,500 for a commercial agency to return the vehicle or up to a one-way economy airfare plus gas, meals and accommodation for a family member or friend to pick up and return the vehicle
|24-hour accident insurance||Up to $25,000|
|PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS|
|Pre-existing medical condition coverage||59 years and under |
• 90-day stability period before the effective date of the policy
60 to 69 years
• 120-day stability period before the effective date of the policy
70 to 85 years
• 180-day stability period before the effective date of the policy
86 years and over
• 365-day stability period before the effective date of the policy
|Unstable Pre-existing Medical Condition Coverage||79 years and under |
Provides coverage up to the sum insured selected for unstable pre-existing medical conditions.*
* Pre-existing medical conditions must have been stable on or within the 7 days before the effective date of the policy.
|Sports & Activities Coverage||Provides coverage if participating, training or practicing in the following sports and activities, provided the traveller chooses the sports and activities they need coverage for and pays the applicable premium for them: |
Covers up to the sum insured selected
• Backcountry skiing/snowboarding
• BASE jumping
• Downhill freestyle skiing/snowboarding in organized competitions
• Downhill mountain biking
• Hang gliding/paragliding
• High risk snowmobiling
• Ice climbing
• Mixed martial arts
• Motorized speed contests
• Parachuting/skydiving/tandem skydiving
• Rock climbing
• Scuba diving or free diving over 40 metres
• White water sports – Class VI
• Wingsuit flying
21 YEARS AND OVER
Covers up to the sum insured selected
• Football (American and Canadian)
• Ice hockey
If a sport or activity is not listed above or is not excluded under the General Exclusions of the policy, coverage for that sport or activity will be provided under the Emergency Medical Insurance plan without the purchase of this Optional Coverage. For more details on excluded sports and activities, refer to the policy wording.
|Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)||Insureds can purchase additional coverage for AD&D as follows: |
Air Flight/Common Carrier – up to $100,000 24-hour Accident – up to $25,000
This coverage is over and above the $25,000 coverage available under the Additional Benefit in the base plan for 24-hour accident coverage
|RATES & DISCOUNTS|
|Family & friends plan||A family & friends rate is available for up to two travellers 59 years or under and up to 6 children.* |
*Applies to children up to age 21, if residing with their parents/guardians or up to age 25, if full-time students. No age limit applies for children with cognitive, developmental or physical disabilities.
* For complete details, refer to the policy wording. The language in this web page may differ from the official policy wording, which will prevail. Exclusions, limitations and conditions may apply.
Claims at TuGo
In a medical emergency, our Claims Representatives are here to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Services available in several languages.
|In Canada & USA||1-800-663-0399|
|Outside N. America & Mexico||800-663-00399*|
* To use this Global toll free service, first dial the international access code for the country you are in, then enter the 11-digit toll-free number as shown above. This service is not available in all countries. If you encounter problems accessing this service, please call us collect at (604) 278-4108.
Terms & Conditions
Visitors to Canada Emergency Travel Insurance
All persons insured are subject to the terms and conditions below.
This web page does not constitute the entire insurance policy, and the applicant(s) has been advised to read the policy booklet for full details of coverage and exclusions.
- The eligibility requirements for the plan applied for are material to the risk for which insurance is sought. If the applicant(s) does not meet the eligibility requirements for the plan selected, or if there is any misrepresentation or concealment of or failure to disclose any facts or matters pertaining to the applicant(s) and that are the subject of the application form, then there shall be no insurance coverage provided.
- The applicant(s) is aware that this insurance covers only Emergencies (as defined in the policy booklet) and may not cover expenses incurred after the applicant(s) is able to travel home for treatment. The applicant(s) is aware that Pre-existing Conditions (as defined in the policy booklet) are excluded in some circumstances and that further details are provided in the policy booklet.
- In the event of a claim that may require or result in hospitalization, call Claims at TuGo immediately. From Canada & USA: 1-800-663-0399 From Mexico: 001-800-514-9976 Outside North America and Mexico: 800-663-00399** Worldwide collect: 604-278-4108 **To use this Global toll-free service, first dial the international access code for the country you are in, then enter the 11-dighit toll-free number as shown above. Service not available in all countries. If you encounter problems using this service, please call us collect 604-278-4108.
- The applicant(s) hereby authorizes any hospital, physician or other person or organization that has records or knowledge of them, their health or medical history or other information relevant to the claim to provide that information to the Company (as defined in the policy booklet) and Claims atTuGo and the applicant(s) authorizes the Company and Claims at TuGo to use and disclose that information to determine whether any claim that may be made is covered by this policy or by another plan or policy.
- The applicant(s) understands that the medical conditions disclosed on this application may not be covered and that details of when Pre-existing Conditions are covered are set out in the policy booklet.
- The applicant(s) has not seen a physician or been to the hospital since their arrival in Canada, has not incurred any expenses for which they may claim under the policy, is in good health at the present time and has no intention of making a claim under the policy as of the date and time of this application. The applicant(s) understands that if this policy is purchased 60 days after their arrival in Canada, there is no coverage for Sickness occurring or arising during the first 48 hours from the effective date of this policy. The applicant(s) understands that if this policy is purchased more than 60 days after their arrival in Canada, there is no coverage for Sickness occurring or arising during the first 7 days from the effective date of this policy.
This online quote-application form is protected by secure SSL.